Haxton, like Fittleton is situated on the east bank of the River Avon and just across the river from the village of Netheravon. Haxton was first recorded as 'Hakeneston' in 1172. In previous ordination’s the name is given as Hakeneston, Habeleston, and Haxton.
For most of its history Haxton appears to have been more populous and wealthy than Fittleton; the 1332 tax list, for instance, enters a total for Haxton more than four times that for Fittleton.
As late as 1817 the first Ordnance Survey map omits the name Fittleton altogether, and describes the whole settlement as Haxton. The parish church, however, lay just on the Fittleton side of the tithing boundary, and its name has prevailed for the civil parish too.
In 1847 an iron suspension bridge was provided to reach Netheravon from Haxton an innovative suspension structure built by Bath engineer James Dredge,, and around 1907 a brick pier and steel beam bridge was built. The bridge from Haxton to Netheravon, known to locals as “The Red Bridge” has now been replaced by a new bridge using some of the old materials to bring it in keeping with the area, but to also make it safe for modern traffic conditions.
The village green at Haxton is known as The Pound.
Listed buildings in Haxton(mixed in with fittleton)